Sunday, July 30, 2017

Will history have a long memory or a short one?

This post by The Guardian is well worth a read. I truly wish I could be alive a hundred or two hundred years from now and see how this era will be perceived. I know that there were many periods in our history that were awful for one reason or another. It also seems that we don't really pay attention to those scandals and ineptitudes of the past. I keep reading that Andrew Jackson was one of worst Presidents ever (until now, of course). Yet nobody thinks twice about a bigot who murdered Native Americans. We even have him on the twenty dollar bill!

The difference, however, is that we are in a "Global Village" age where communication is instantaneous, every move is parsed to the finest detail and recorded for posterity. I have a feeling that if the internet was available in the past, we would be much more knowledgeable and aware of eras and their foibles. Then again, maybe not. Populations tend to have a very short memory.

I've said this before, and I'll keep saying it over and over. I really hope that in the future the villains of this era will be the Republicans in both the House and Senate (starring Mitch McConnell and Paul Ryan) being vilified for their behavior in these trying times. They had the power to stop this and didn't. They put money and power before country. A pox on them all!

No comments: