Sunday, August 8, 2010

Freedom of religion is sacrosanct

I just want to add my thoughts about the mosque that's been approved for being build near Ground Zero.

I know many more eloquent than I can say it better, but I want to be another voice in the blogosphere decrying those who would deny equal rights of a religious entity.

I want to say up front that I am not a religious person. I hold no affiliation to any religious group. I personally think that organized religion is ridiculous.

However, I do feel that if one can find peace and happiness through religion or faith (organized or not), great! I wish them the best and hope they have happy lives.

We are a country that has always maintained freedom of religion. There is no reason to slam a religion because some of its extremist followers committed a crime on U.S. soil.

Muslims died in the Towers as well as those of other faiths. I believe we cannot in good conscience deny the right of a religion to erect a place of worship wherever it is legally allowed. If we did, who would be next? It's a slippery slope to start denying a group the same rights as other similar groups. What if the next criminal catastrophe involves another extremist religious group from another faith? Do we start denying them as well?

One of the main reasons our forefathers came here was to escape religious persecution in the Old World. We should maintain that ethic today.

No comments: