Monday, April 13, 2009

A Little Slow on the Uptake

I am really happy that Captain Phillips was able to come away from his capture relatively unscathed, but there are a couple of points that I need to address.

First, how on earth can a little tiny lifeboat with four pirates and a captive hold the greatest naval fleet in world history at bay? I mean, come on, I don’t know the exact figure, but we must have spent literally billions of dollars playing war games of various scenarios over our history. We have some of the finest minds regarding war strategy in world. Yet no one ever thought of the scenario of a tiny life boat holding an American citizen hostage?

Another thing – Captain Phillips jumped off the lifeboat last Friday. Our keen-minded military lights bulbs didn’t think of maintaining a constant vigilance on the lifeboat just in case that opportunity for the snipers arose until after the fact?

I think we might want to rethink our concept of “invincibility.” Those guys running the war games don’t seem to be the best and the brightest.

And one last point that’s been nagging me for years. I’ve never liked the use of the word “surge.” It’s “reinforcements” for pity’s sake. Has been, always will be. Of course, that word couldn’t be used. Too militaristic. "Surge" sounds so clean and fresh. Almost like a laundry detergent…

No comments: